In hazard-prone areas, hazard-induced maintenance costs can be significant over the lifetime of a building. In fact, the costs of hazard-related repairs can exceed the initial building cost. Our team has developed a building life cycle cost analysis (LCCA) approach that incorporates operational costs associated with energy consumption and repairs due to damage from hazards. Our case studies have demonstrated that investing in more hazard-resistant residential construction in certain locations is very cost-effective.
Topic Summaries and Info Sheets
- Building Life Cycle Cost Analysis: Life Cycle Costs of Hazard Resistant Buildings
- Info Sheet: Building Resilience (May 2018)
Related Research Briefs
- Creating Customized Fragility Curves for Resilient Building (November 2018)
- Resilience Assessment of Structures Using Molecular Dynamics (June 2018)
- Prioritizing Resilient Retrofits (February 2018)
- Planning More Resilient Cities (March 2017)
- A Break-Even Hazard Mitigation Metric (July 2016)
- Quantifying Hazard Life-Cycle Cost (August 2014)
- Hazard Mitigation Assessment Methodologies (August 2013)
- Quantitative Assesment of Resilience in Residential Building Envelope Systems (March 2013)
- Building to Better Weather the Storm (MIT News, June 2017)
- Build disaster-proof homes before storms strike, not afterward (The Conversation, August 2016)
- New approach calcuates benefits of building hazard-resitant structures (MIT News, December 2016)
Related Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Keremides, Konstantinos; Qomi, Mohammad Javad Abdolhosseini; Pellenq, Roland J. M.; and Ulm, Franz-Josef. “Potential-of-Mean-Force Approach for Molecular Dynamics–Based Resilience Assessment of Structures” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Volume 144, Issue 8 (2018)
- Noori, M., Miller, R., Kirchain, R., Gregory, J., "How much should be invested in hazard mitigation? Development of a streamlined hazard mitigation cost assessment framework," International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction (2018)
- Noshadravan, A.; Miller, T.R.; and Gregory, J. "A Lifecycle Cost Analysis of Residential Buildings Including Natural Hazard Risk" Journal of Construction and Engineering Management (2007).
This webinar was presented on May 25, 2017. Click here for a list of upcoming webinars and additional webinar videos.
Click on the image to open full size. Download a two-page informational sheet on this topic here.