A life cycle cost analysis (LCCA) is an analysis methodology that enables engineers, designers, and decision-makers to better understand the economic impacts of infrastructure decisions over time along with the opportunities that exist to reduce impacts. CSHub pavements LCCA research considers life cycle, context, and future, and also incorporates risk.
- Life Cycle Thinking: Pavements (March 2018)
- Measuring the Impact of Competition on Paving Material Prices (November 2017)
- Pavement Life Cycle Cost Assessment: Price Projection Modeling (April 2016)
The influence of analysis period on pavement network performance (November 2017)
- Estimating The Impact Of Competition (February 2016)
- Developing a Network-Level Pavement Management Model (November 2015)
- Material-Specific Price Projections: Implementation (September 2014)
- LCCA of Pavements: Scenario Analysis (February 2014)
- Initial Cost Uncertainty in LCCA (May 2013)
- Supplementary Information for Comparative Pavement Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Cost Analysis (April 2014)
- Back to the Future: Using Historic Data to Improve Pavement Material Price Projections (August 2013)
- Paving ahead (MIT News, April 2019)
O. Swei, M. Akabarian, J. Gregory, R. Kirchain, J. Mack, “A review of pavement economic studies at the MIT Concrete Sustainability Hub”, ASCE T&DI International Airfield and Highway Pavements Conference, Chicago, IL, July 21-24, 2019.
Omar, S., Gregory, J., & Kirchain, R. (2018). Does Pavement Degradation Follow a Random Walk with Drift? Evidence from Variance Ratio Tests for Pavement Roughness, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Vol 24, no.4, 2018.
Mack, J., Swei, O., Akabarian, M., Gregory, J., and Kirchain, R. A Review of Pavement Economic Studies at the MIT Concrete Sustainability Hub. Presented at the 13th International Symposium on Concrete Pavements, Berlin, Germany, 2018.
- Swei, O., Gregory, J., Kirchain, R., Construction cost estimation: A parametric approach for better estimates of expected cost and variation. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. Volume 101, July 2017, Pages 295–305
- M. Akbarian, O. Swei, and J. Gregory, Probabilistic Characterization of Life-Cycle Agency and User Costs: Case Study of Minnesota, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2639, 2017, pp. 93–101. 2017
- Swei, O., Gregory, J., and Kirchain, R. Probabilistic Approach for Long-Run Price Projections: Case Study of Concrete and Asphalt. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2016.
- Swei, O. Probabilistic Life-Cycle Cost Analysis of Pavements: Drivers of Variation and Implications of Context, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2523. Pages 47–55. 2016. (PDF)
- Swei O., Gregory J., Kirchain R., Pavement Management Systems: Opportunities to Improve the Current Frameworks Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting, No. 16-2940. 2016.
This webinar was presented on March 30, 2017. Click here for a list of upcoming webinars and additional webinar videos.