Ehsan has received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Materials Engineering, from Sharif University of Technology and the University of Tehran, respectively. After earning his PhD from Purdue University in Environmental & Ecological Engineering, he joined Materials Systems Lab (MSL) and Concrete Sustainability Hub (CSHub) as a postdoctoral associate. His main expertise is Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), recycling and reuse, and critical materials. At MIT, his research focuses on improving life cycle sustainability assessment and life cycle cost analysis (LCCA) of buildings and applying them to answer questions about the implications of improved design practices on society’s economic and environmental goals. For more details, please visit Ehsan’s personal website.
Selected Publications: (Link to Google Scholar)
- Zhen Li, Luis A Diaz, Zhiyao Yang, Hongyue Jin, Tedd Lister, Ehsan Vahidi, and Fu Zhao, (2019). “Comparative Life Cycle Analysis for Value Recovery of Precious Metals and Rare Earth Elements from Electronic Waste”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Special Issue on "Advances in the Circular Economy", 149, 20-30.
- Ehsan Vahidi, Fu Zhao, (2018). “Assessing the environmental footprint of the production of rare earth metals and alloys via molten salt electrolysis”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 139, 178–187.
- Praneet Arshi, Ehsan Vahidi, Fu Zhao, (2018). “Behind the scenes of clean energy – the environmental footprint of rare earth products”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 6 (3), 3311–3320 .
- Ehsan Vahidi and Fu Zhao, (2017). “Environmental life cycle assessment on the separation of rare earth oxides through solvent extraction”, Journal of Environmental Management, 203, 255-263.
- Rabeeh Golmohammadzadeh, Fereshteh Rashchi, and Ehsan Vahidi, (2017). "Recovery of lithium and cobalt from spent lithium-ion batteries using different organic acids: Process optimization and kinetic aspects", Waste Management, 64, 244-254.
- Ehsan Vahidi, Julio Navarro, Fu Zhao, (2016). "An initial life cycle assessment of rare earth oxides production from ion-adsorption clays", Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 113, 1-11.
- Ehsan Vahidi, Enze Jin, Maithilee Das, Mansukh Singh and Fu Zhao, (2016). "Environmental Life Cycle Analysis of Pipe Materials for Sewer System", Sustainable Cities and Society, 27, 167-174.